Saturday, January 27, 2018

Living in Gratitude

The flu season has been a rough one this year and has certainly taken it's toll on me. I have been sick and I am heading into my third week of upper respiratory issues, currently with bronchitis. At work we lost someone, quite young, to this flu season and I have seen and heard of so many being hospitalized and/or dying from it. It was a bit of a wake up call for me. I am not young or old, just kind of floating around somewhere in the middle, so you almost feel invincible at times and yet you start to feel the gravity of where we are all ending up. 

Being sick and struggling to breathe help you look at each day a little differently, and it certainly helps you appreciate each breath you are able to take. Today I was able to take a road trip with some friends and my kids to Sacramento. We walked around Old Town Sacramento, perusing through shops and having lunch. It was a beautiful day spent with people I love, a day that I am very grateful for. I haven't always had a close knit group of friends, as I grew older I made friends through work and these friends have become my family. They are my tribe, the ones I lean on in tough times, the ones I laugh with, the ones that encourage me to follow my dreams, the ones who are there for me always. I never understood the importance of a tribe of people that are friends but I see now how important they are in my life, and I am so grateful for their friendship. 

When I got home, me and the kids starting watching a new TV show on Netflix and we spent three hours together, hanging out laughing and discussing the show and life in between. It is nights like this that fill me up with so much love and gratitude for our time together. As they are getting older and emerging into adulthood I know that I won't get as much of this time sooner than later. I am happy for them and excited for their future but I certainly cherish these nights with them. Where we are together, eating dinner and binge watching a new show. I am a lucky Mom, I don't take that for granted. 

Life is made up of these moments and days like the one I had. Spending money on little things in shops, talking with friends, enjoying a stroll through a little town, talking, laughing and singing on a two hour drive with my friends and kids. These are the moments that make up a well lived, happy life. These are the moments we create that we look back on with so much joy and love. Today reminded me that each day we have is such a privilege, and to be alive and breathing is the greatest gift of all. I am reminded to let go of the small things, the worries and the never ending list of things I need to get done, money I need to save, a house that needs cleaning, clothes that need washing, and the list goes on. Create your moments and memories, cherish this oh so short life we get to live. Every day is a gift, every moment a chance to create the life you love <3 Namaste :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment