Friday, January 19, 2018

Starting with 5 minutes a day

I told myself I would start a daily meditation practice again this year. And I committed to 5 minutes a day this week. Meditation is a practice, the more you do it the better it gets, its exercise for the mind. The more you exercise with meditation, the easier it is to sit in stillness. I went to a week long silent meditation retreat a few years back, with no meditation practice I sat in meditation for at least three hours a day. I can tell you I went crazy, my mind was a chaotic mess and my body had every ache, pain and twitch that was possible. I reached a breaking point mentally and I wanted to run as far and as fast away from the retreat as possible, but alas, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Colorado. I had no other option but to finally let go of the resistance and surrender. It was an absolutely pure peace I had never felt before in my life. The three hours a day seemed easy and fulfilling. I sat in stillness and experienced things I had never experienced prior. I told myself I would continue my practice when I left....anyway....I am starting again to get to that place once more. Be kind to yourself, we all lose our practice sometimes, the important part is getting back to it. Discipline, mental discipline is my friend to get back to sitting for an hour at a time. Can you commit to it? Do it, for your own sanity, for your own peace and joy. Namaste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment